Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Be My Girl"


The first time a guy ever asked me out, I was appalled! He was my best friend at the GCE class I was attending at the time in my quest for salvation from the iron grip of Nigerian Pre- University examinations (GCE, JAMB, NECO n co.). We practically did everything together during lesson hours. We even had a special written code for communicating during classes so I guess my surprise was justified when he indicated that he wanted to take our relationship a notch higher. Given the depth of our relationship, I couldn’t see what was lacking that a romantic relationship would provide. I asked if he wanted to start holding my hand when we walked and slobbering all over me.

I was 16 at the time and obviously very green. But beyond being green, I was very relationship averse. My definition of a romantic relationship was that once a girl agreed to ‘go out’ with a boy, she automatically became ‘His Girl’ and that every opportunity he got, he would gather friends around him and point at her from a distance saying with a silly drawl, “That’s my girl over there.”. I found the idea highly repulsive and, at the time, would have gladly had both my knees shot than be some boy’s 'Girl'.

When I was in Primary 4, I was selected to play the wife in our end of year playlet. I have always been literarily sound and so even at that tender age, I knew the play had a good story line. I however had one problem with the play; there was a scene where I was expected to fall on my knees in tears and beg my play-husband for forgiveness. Yes you’re right, I baled on the play! I couldn't stand the idea of it and the fact that I didn’t like the boy who had been selected to play my husband didn’t help my course. So after many failed attempts at the hated scene, I broke down in tears and begged off the play.

The anecdotes confirming my aversion for boy-girl relationships are numerous… the only fight I have ever been in was with a boy and all because he called me his wife. 


Looking back, I wonder what it was that got me tied up in a knot about romantic relationships as a younger girl. Maybe it’s the fact that there is a mean imbalance of scale between bad relationships and enviable ones or that I come from a part of the country where women are rumoured to be perceived as commodities. Or maybe the fault was all internal and my mind just had a delayed grasp of the concept. While I doubt that very much, I can’t say that the delay was a bad idea cause now that I have been reformed by age and experience (believe it or not, I do PDAs now), all I can say is …”It’s not good for man to be alone”.

*PDA : Public Display of Affection

3 comments:

  1. Oh well there, PDA's are healthy forms of emotional banking whether you are the depositor or the drawer.
    And Nora..., believe me its good that there was that early delay cuz it made you a good 'fit' that you are now.
    And please, that closing line. I couldn't agree more if I had tried harder..., it is not good for man to be alone. He needs a help-meet,a wife. Not a chop-mate or a knife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nora,

    A Yoruba saying goes, "You don't live by someone else's watch." We all grow at our own pace. Each man his own. It was just not your time.

    PDA Aversion or not, I know peeps who've been in relationships with their now-wives since they were 16 or so.

    I like your angle but you left me hanging: "It's not good for man to be alone?" Do I sense a part II here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chiij,
    Thanks a bunch!

    @ Sochi,
    I shudder to think of myself in the shoes of those people in age long relationships esp. since they have to be there through the formative period, the messy making and breaking of the 'to-be'.
    What is it you expected to hear about man not being alone? Throw me a line I can work with...better yet, blog about it; you haven't written anything in eons.

    ReplyDelete