Monday, September 6, 2010

THE THING ON YOUR INSIDE

I’m just 26.

In the eyes of many, I have seen too few years to think that I might have stumbled upon the secrets of good living. I hear them say “How can?! When men 3 times your age are stumbling about blind and lost as children in a blizzard?” But I have.

I confess that I don’t yet have all the answers… only some. I confess that sometimes I myself perform the little dance of the lost sheep, but thanks to The Force at work in my life, such moments are short-lived.

So I don’t have all the answers to life’s questions now, but I will. I will happen on many more nuggets tucked in the folds of life for us to discover, when we choose the paths in which they lay in wait. And in the mean while, I’d try to make the most of my life with the few I have in hand.

One thing I have learned; that there is an infinite reserve of strength in every man, bubbling just behind the surface, impatiently waiting to be tapped. There isn’t a man lacking in this goldmine, from the youngest of us to the oldest. Ironically, unlike most other advantages, it’s an innate ability, planted in us by the same one (and I suspect, at the same time as) who planted in us our bones and many delicate organs.

This reserve is like and unlike a trust fund. Like a trust, it’s always been there, waiting for the time when you’d be ready to make your first and subsequent withdrawal(s). Unlike your trust fund, the maturity date isn’t set by someone else, but by your very self. You’re ready to cash it in when you say you are and it’s ready for mining when you say it is. The resource from this well are not to be wasted on our everyday experiences, oh no! It’s not for dealing with broken nails or even missed buses. They are for those make-or-break moments that mark our graduation from one class to another in the University of Life; the moments that leave you farther from clay and closer to gold.

What’s more? I’ve discovered that this well of strength, unlike our physical adaptative reserve never runs dry…like the widow’s oil jar, it just keeps getting a top-up from that mysterious source…so I guess all that’s really needed is for one to stay connected.

I could go on and on…you know what they say about power being intoxicating. But with effort, I’d stop here and simply urge that we seek out this secret reservoir…cos sooner than later, life will give you cause to need a drink from it. It’s better to have it ready for tapping before that time comes upon you.

2 comments:

  1. You do sound like you are more than just 26. I'm older than you, and already this reads like I'm listening to my mom's sermon. :-)

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ (http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com)

    Hi Fickle Cattle,

    I never thanked you for your comment on my blog all those years ago. I don't know why and hope its not too late to say "Thank You for stopping by my blog, reading my article and taking the time to leave a comment." How is your blog doing these days?

    ReplyDelete