Monday, December 1, 2014

Redefining Beauty

Yesterday an eclectic group of talented and fascinating women met at the maiden edition of 'The Inspire Series Event' to discuss a topic that though targeted at the womenfolk, has plagued all of mankind since forever; Beauty.
Issues were examined...
"What is Beauty?"
"Who is Beautiful?" Is it the woman with the flawless skin or that other woman with the amazing persona that lights lives?
"Where does beauty really lie? In the eyes of the beholder (as touted since God knows when) or in the heart of the holder? I'm I (not) beautiful simply because YOU pronounce me so or is my 'beautiful quotient' a factor of some self-discovered truth that cannot be tarnished or dismissed by the fleeting opinions of others?
"How do fame and societal judgment marry where beauty is concerned?" Do I get forgiven my physical inconsistencies because I'm a celebrity or does that status bring my spots and imperfections under more spotlights and invite more unsolicited beauty consultants to my vanity chest?
"Should I feel the need to compensate for not meeting up to society's beauty standards?"
"So by genes or a lifetime of sacrifices and self deprivation, I have some how checked off all of society's beauty-must-haves (like that's ever possible!), where do I go from there?"

These and many more questions were raised and brilliantly answered by people like Inspiration FM's Wanawana, the inspiring Glory Edozien (the event's organizer), OAP, Oreka Godis, Gidi Up's creator, Jadesola Osiberu and notable makeup artist, Lola Maja amidst others.

I dare to speak on behalf of the lovely ladies who were at the event in saying that the time spent in that room full of open hearts was time well spent. I also want to believe that attendees left there with a clearer sense of responsibility (not just to themselves but to posterity) as regards defining beauty concepts vis-a-vis other virtues.

I may not be able to swear that "Beauty" as a concept was giving a new cap yesterday, but I'm certain that the meeting helped attendees bond over the common struggle for an understanding of what society says on the matter of beauty, what we have all learned from our different but shockingly similar experiences and the truths that we have come to know for ourselves... "I may not be as slim, as curvaceous, or as light-skinned as YOU say I should be, but what I am is enough!!!
Titilope Shonuga performing a spoken words poem



Omolara serenading attendees

No comments:

Post a Comment