Friday, January 7, 2011

For The Bow-Tied Man

I'm all grins this morning and I have every reason! It’s not everyday that the world has something good to say about Nigeria... not every week that they duff their hats to us or give us a complimenting pat on the back... not every year for that matter, that they point at a Nigerian and tag him the best of a global pack so PLEASE allow me my grin!

Our Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was awarded global Bank Governor of the year 2010 by The Banker, a financial affairs magazine owned by the Financial Times Ltd. If I were to play the devil's advocate, I would say it must have come easy to Mr. CBN Governor as the other governors probably didn't have to clean up the same scale of financial mess that Sanusi has been working his way through, but the truth is what it is, which is that he has done a darn good job!

He did a good job with the 2009/2010 shake down in the banking industry, never mind that some of us got the wrong end of the stick (victory always requires bloodshed…I think?!). He did a good job staring down the people who tagged him loco for being so radical and dangerously revolutionary. Oh, and he also did a good job standing up to our famous fat cats when he called them out on their gluttony.

Sanusi’s style is impressive of its own accord, it’s however amplified cos he’s doing this remarkable things in a country where politicians seem to have a unanimous objective; milk the nation dry and then slaughter it (God help us!). Ours’ is a country were the people in power seem to be criminal minded, let’s not even talk about whether or not they stand up for truth, fairness and national growth and development. In such a country as ours’, Governor Lamido is a more than a breath of fresh air.

As we approach our national elections, a recurring thought of mine is “Give me a candidate like Sanusi or El-Rufai and I’d be leading the lines to the voting booths”. I don’t want to talk about the up-coming elections, but since we’re on the topic, I might as well express my concerns…

The general campaign across the country is an avocation that people participate in the election process by registering and voting for the candidates that they support. I have just one concern on the matter; how do I vote when I don’t support or even like any of the aspirants? Who do I vote for when we have a selection of green-eyed monsters and an unambitious candidate to pick from? The former have mean and selfish agendas that have nothing to do with the nation except to serve as a means to their ends while the latter has no ambitions except to run cos he found himself shoved in the ring and cos some people with whom he keeps council say it might be fun and lucrative.

But I digress, this post is about the man who has somehow managed to stand out of the crowd, both nationally and globally. For this, I am most pleased. If we could find one, I suspect that there must be more out there in the wood works.

For more details on his award, check here .

No comments:

Post a Comment