Monday, December 14, 2009

DOWN THE AISLE

My friend Stella (no, it’s not her real name) got married on Saturday and I was one of the bride’s maids, yet again. I’m not complaining oh! I had a great deal of fun. Besides, someone once said, when people around you get blessed, it’s evidence that God is in your neighborhood and might knock on your door soon. This sage didn’t tell me how long it will take for God to get to me though, so I’d just be patient and keep busy by shopping around for a gorgeous wedding gown.

Speaking of gowns, some days before the wedding my BF and I were talking about wedding disasters and wondering what things could possibly go wrong on a wedding day asides d cliché abandonment at the altar. I joked about someone stumbling into the wedding cake or someone mistakenly stepping on and tearing the Bride’s train. Of course we dint mean that any of these would happen to Stella, but something did happen; something that did not cross my mind as we joked around. Stella’s wedding dress did not fit! No, it was not too big (that would have been manageable) it was too tight! In the months between the time Stella bought her dress and the wedding day, my friend gained some weight. I’d never know how she did it because I was of the opinion that the stress of planning a wedding was a tried and trusted weight-lose regiment. So I was really thrown off balance when we tried to Lace Stella up and the sides of her gown refused to meet.

The faithfulness of God prevailed; we managed to get and keep her in the dress. Her wedding was wonderful. I have never seen a bride dance as Stella did. Now she has me afraid for myself because she’d always be a reference point that I’d never be able to match. But who knows, maybe that kind of joy comes with the anointing to dance like Stella and David (the one in the bible, not her husband). Whether I wiggle like a salted worm or stump around like a Zulu warrior, what really matters is that the wedding day be the beginning of many happy and fruitful days. That’s my prayer for Stella. If you’re reading this Stella, congrats once again. We are mighty proud of you. A-Town!

No comments:

Post a Comment